Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Newsletter of March 20, 2018


Just a reminder to let us know if you are entering 1 or 2 artworks for Judging Day, April 14, 2018 (deadline: April 12). Click on the following link to our WASM website, Art Exhibit page, to get info on the Judging Day.  http://www.womensartsociety.com/juried-art-exhibit.html 
**************************************** 
Outing to see the Giant Puppets of Theatre Sans Fil at the Place des Arts. Meet on Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 2pm inside the Place des Arts metro (Green Line, exit on the Jeanne-Mance side) near the big Mosaic as you go into the walkway to Place des Arts.  
**************************************** 
Outing to the Urban Sketchers on Sunday, March 25, 2018
Complexe Desjardins. “The unique octagonal architecture of Complexe Desjardins with its multiple angles and stairways will be the subject of our next urban Sketchers outing. You can either explore the numerous neighbouring underground tunnels in the “underground city” network or stay put and capture the hubbub of shoppers and the interior fountain or food court. (the tunnel to Place des Arts is particularly interesting). 
If the weather permits, why not take advantage and add a sketch or two of the Quartier des Spectacles.” 
- 10:00 am: meeting at the central fountain of Complexe Desjardins
- 12 noon: lunch free style, many restaurants are available nearby
- 3:00 pm: meet up at the Fountain to share our days’ sketches of this unique underground city 
How to get there: metro Green line, Place des Arts station, Jeanne-Mance exit.
Thanks to Joni and Suzanne for the proposal and organization of this activity. 
*****************************************
For the Atwater Library Lunchtime Series, Joe Schwarcz, PhD, Director of McGill University’s Office for Science and Society, gives a talk on "Nutritional Advice: Is There a Solution to the Confusion?"
****************************************** 
The following is a very interesting entry from fellow member, Marielle Robichaud. She is a costume designer and multimedia artist.
“I am Marielle Robichaud, costume designer and multidisciplinary artist. One of my clients is "École de danse Louise Lapierre", located at 1460 Mont-Royal E, Montreal. (celebrating it's 45'th anniversary this year). From October to May, I design and produce the costumes worn by 600 dancers of all ages, for their annual show at Théâtre Denise Pelletier at the end of May. I have been making their costumes for 18 years. First, I meet with teachers for direction, themes, colors, etc. Then I sketch my suggestions and make patterns and samples. The dancers get to try on my samples in different sizes, so I can fill in my order sheets. Back in my sewing studio, I cut the production and send it out to be sewn by a team. The rest of the year, I work on all kinds of projects, from wedding dresses to jeans repairs. And of course, I paint as often as I can, with a few exhibitions every year. You can see my costumes here (photo credit: Robert Geoffrion, G. Soyer). And to see my art, the link to my web site (still under construction) is for now: https://mariellerobichaud.wixsite.com/site

No comments:

Post a Comment